Contact tutors

Picture of Lorraine Jones
Photo project 4
by Lorraine Jones - Monday, 22 August 2016, 11:04 AM

Hi I'm think I'm having one of those moments which no longer have names due to political correctness! I'm struggling with this photo. I've put the camera on automatic mode. Is this correct? The photo example shows the background fairly clearly but mine are all extremely blurred. 

I love this course, despite not being able to do it for the last 6 months (and hoping that you're still there!) it really makes you think aboutall aspects of taking a photo but this has got me stumped! Help please......

I'm the big kid in the middle
Re: Photo project 4
by Alec Green - Tuesday, 23 August 2016, 9:58 AM

Hi Lorraine, While you're waiting for David to swing past - thought I'd offer my 2p's worth in case it helps (I'm an ex student).

The point of Project 4 if I remember correctly is for you to show that you know how to set the focus point on your subject correctly. To do this (depends what camera you have) you need to select single point auto-focus and move the focus point off the centre of the screen to be where your subject is or if your camera can't do this you could possibly compose and focus (shutter button half pressed on most cameras) with your subject in the centre then with the subject focussed (finger on shutter button still) - move your camera, recompose and take your shot.

If you're still stuck try reading the course tutorial again while waiting for David (the expert) to reply - Happy snapping :-) Alec

Picture of David Eales
by David Eales - Wednesday, 24 August 2016, 3:06 PM

Hi Alec,

Thanks so much for helping Lorraine, great to see you are still looking at the course.

Regards,

David.

Picture of Lorraine Jones
by Lorraine Jones - Saturday, 27 August 2016, 5:31 AM

Thank you Alec, I realised, eventually, that it was my focal point causing the problem so once I zoomed in or out, I got the right effect. I was pleased with my final effort. I'm loving this course, I've done so many in the past but this one really makes you think about what and why you're doing.

Picture of David Eales
by David Eales - Wednesday, 24 August 2016, 3:04 PM

Hi Lorraine,

I love it when another student replies with help to a question someone posts on the forum. Alec is absolutely correct in his answer and i could not have answered more clearly.

So have a go and see how you get on, if you still have problems let me know.

Regards, David.