Contact tutors

Picture of Lorraine Jones
over exposed photo query
by Lorraine Jones - Saturday, 31 October 2015, 4:41 PM

over exposed or notHi, Can you tell me if this photo is overexposed in the bright area. I think it shows where the sun is shining on the tennis ball but my partner thinks it is overexposed. Your opinion would be very much appreciated! I have enlarged the photo on photoshop to see if it proves to me that it is overexposed but I'm still not sure.

Picture of David Eales
Re: over exposed photo query
by David Eales - Sunday, 1 November 2015, 3:13 PM

Hi Lorraine, the overall shot does not look overexposed at all. The specular highlights on the tennis ball itself may be overexposed but without the original file it's not possible to say. However i think you are perhaps looking a little too closely at a very small part of the overall image. If this image was for reproduction purposes at a very high print quality then it may need to be adjusted but for the course submission it is perfectly acceptable.

Kind regards,

David.

by Lorraine Jones - Monday, 2 November 2015, 9:58 AM

Hi David, thanks for the feedback. I thought that the highlighted part made the photo more interesting (I felt you could almost feel the sun shining in the photo) but my partner felt it was overexposed and was therefore not a good shot. I know it's early days but this course is really making me 'think' about the shot. I've done a few courses and hope that this course will help me find all the knowledge which is hiding somewhere in my brain at the moment!

I'm the big kid in the middle
by Alec Green - Sunday, 1 November 2015, 4:09 PM

Lorraine,

I'm not an expert like David but if you're concerned about parts of your images being over ( or under) exposed then depending on what camera you have you may be able to switch on either the histogram display or blinkies to let you know if any part of your image is clipped.

Cheers

Alec

Picture of David Eales
by David Eales - Sunday, 1 November 2015, 5:28 PM

Hi Alec, Great to see you are keeping an eye on us all since you completed the course. Your comment and advice for Lorraine is spot on and the histogram check is a good way of checking for highlight and shadow detail. Thanks for the input Alec.

Cheers, David.

by Alec Green - Sunday, 1 November 2015, 7:12 PM

What can I say David, I enjoyed your course so much and got so much out of it that I felt I should give a little back.

I still get the emails and can see you have a number of really talented students and it's great to see how they improve as they go through the photo assignments.

Cheers

Alec

Picture of Robin Price
by Robin Price - Sunday, 1 November 2015, 7:50 PM

You are not alone!  I get the e-mails and contribute where I can.  The course really kicked my hobby off and I've gone from strength to strength based on what I got from you guys!

Picture of David Eales
by David Eales - Monday, 2 November 2015, 6:49 AM

Hi Robin, thank you for your kind comments, there is nothing more pleasing for us than to hear that we have helped your photographic skills. Please keep up your contributions, the more help and advice from fellow photographers the more we like it.

Cheers, David.

by Alec Green - Sunday, 1 November 2015, 8:04 PM

What can I say David, I enjoyed your course so much and got so much out of it that I felt I should give a little back.

I still get the emails and can see you have a number of really talented students and it's great to see how they improve as they go through the photo assignments.

Cheers

Alec

by Lorraine Jones - Monday, 2 November 2015, 10:02 AM

Oh how I wish I'd have thought about that before deleting the photo from my camera! 2 lessons learned...don't delete & remember to use histogram! Thanks for your help.

Lorraine